Professional eater Leah Shutkever passed out and had to be treated in hospital during a food challenge

A professional eater has revealed how she passed out during a food challenge and had to be taken to hospital for treatment. You can see her take on a strong man in a eat burgers contest in the video below.

Horrible Close is a professional eater, having left behind a stable career in interior design after realizing she had a natural talent for making fun of huge plates of food.

Now she has 307,000 YouTube subscribers, 160,000 Instagram followers and has broken 26 Guinness World Records in the process.

It’s fair to say she’s come a long way in a short time.

However, his work involves risks.

Shutkever once passed out during a food challenge in Japan. Credit: Instagram/Leah Shutkever

After all, you can’t just eat massive amounts of food, swallow kiwis and clementines whole, and try eat fast challenges without any practice.

Former bodybuilder Leah also has to train hard and fast ahead of her sporadic challenges in order to keep her body – which she describes as “a machine” – in good working order.

While attempting a challenge in Japan, she once ate so much food that blood started leaking from her brain, causing her to pass out and requiring her to be hospitalized.

Additionally, she claims that she repeatedly asked for the challenge to end, but was forced to continue filming until her body shut down.

Leah quit her job to eat full time.  Credit: Instagram/@shutkeverofficial
Leah quit her job to eat full time. Credit: Instagram/@shutkeverofficial

Leah was participating in a challenge for a Japanese TV show that – unsurprisingly – never aired when she lost consciousness.

She said LADbible: “I passed out in a food challenge once, the circumstances were very different from those I have been in before.

“I have little blood sugar levels and I think it might be something to do with the oxygen in my body.

“I was doing a food challenge in a very hot room, [it was] underground with lots of people and lots of lights and cameras.

“We were getting to the end and I felt like I was passing out because there just wasn’t enough air in the room.

“I was brought to A&E and the doctor basically said because [I’d] I ingested so much food that oxygen passed from my brain to my stomach to digest and I passed out.

She currently holds 26 Guinness World Records.  Credit: Instagram/@shutkeverofficial
She currently holds 26 Guinness World Records. Credit: Instagram/@shutkeverofficial

It’s scary, but that hasn’t deterred her from pursuing her career down the path of competitive eating.

“Since then, nothing like that has happened,” she continued.

“He [the doctor] I did all my blood and everything and I said “otherwise you’re perfectly healthy”,

“There was no other explanation for this to have happened.”

These days, Leah can choose the challenges she wants to take on, and she’s certainly learned a lesson from that frightening experience.

She explained, “I tried to pull the plug three times during filming because I know what my body is telling me.

“[I was thinking] ‘something is wrong and I have to get out’

“They kept rolling and kept rolling.

“We were eating about four kilos of their British food ‘catch’, so it was a pretty misrepresented British food platter.

“In general, I learned a lot. I don’t like living with regrets.

“I feel like all of these experiences are ones to learn from, and to move forward now as a woman doing these things that have never been done before in this capacity, I have to be able to really state my limits and be able to say no when things aren’t cool.

Comments are closed.