Dr. Govinda KC refuses to travel to Kathmandu for treatment

A Nepalese army helicopter which landed at Dhangadhi airport on Tuesday afternoon to airlift Dr Gobinda KC to Kathmandu for medical treatment has returned after the public health activist refused to move until to have their requests processed.

KC has been fasting to death for nine days. The health crusader seeking reforms in the medical education sector has refused to fly to Kathmandu, said Dr Amrit Jaisi, who supports the doctor in the campaign.

“The army helicopter arrived in Dhangadhi but Dr. KC said he would not fly to Kathmandu under any circumstances today,” Jaisi said. “If he is taken away by force, he will consider it a ‘kidnapping’.”

KC’s health condition over the past few days has deteriorated, according to Yagyaraj Joshi, deputy district manager and spokesperson for the Kailali district administration office. The government on Tuesday deployed a helicopter to fly KC to Kathmandu for further treatment on the recommendation of Seti Provincial Hospital.

The hospital said KC’s health could deteriorate further due to an imbalance of nutrients and water in his body. He could also be suffering from a stomach ulcer, the hospital administration said in a statement on Tuesday morning.

KC was admitted to intensive care at the provincial hospital on the second day of his hunger strike.

In its statement, the hospital asked the Sudurpaschim Ministry of Social Development, the National Human Rights Commission and the Federal Ministry of Health and Population to admit KC to a hospital with facilities for peak care, citing the doctor’s worsening condition. The provincial hospital said KC suffered from a severe stomach ulcer, fluctuating heart rate, difficulty breathing, decreased level of oxygen in the body and low blood pressure. , among other health complications.

Kailali District Chief Officer Kiran Thapa said the helicopter returned after KC refused to fly to Kathmandu. “Efforts are underway to send him to Kathmandu as doctors have advised that his treatment is not possible in the province,” Thapa said. “But we couldn’t send him by force because of his refusal. The next move depends on the decision of the center.

Meanwhile, Pritam Subedi, one of KC’s aides, informed that the KC team and the government were holding talks in Kathmandu on Tuesday. After inconclusive negotiations on Sunday, talks between the two parties resumed on Tuesday at the Primature and in the Council of Ministers.

KC has been advocating for the causes of health reform since first protesting in July 2012. He currently has a seven-point demand that includes, but is not limited to, the formulation of a framework law regarding institutions of the sciences. health; the introduction of legal provisions for the appointment of board members of universities and health institutions; and to transform medical education institutions into non-profit institutions by 2029.

Comments are closed.